Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 72
Kedama objected strongly.
She started throwing a tantrum. [The food Mama gives me isn’t delicious...] "Hey, that's not good." An uncomfortable silence filled the room. Then, Emiliana whispered quietly. [...Well, maybe it's because the food in this country is simple. Since we don't have trade with other countries, we can't get spices and the seasoning is light.] Rude decided to make a suggestion as usual. "I will eventually become the king of Walgard. So, uh, how about we try trading?" [Really? If we can get closer to the strong nation of Walgard, I would really appreciate it.] "I’m happy to hear that. but there’s a problem." [What is the problem?] "We can’t fly. So, I’m not sure what to do..." [Then, I’ll have a young Dragreena from my family accompany you. I’ll introduce them later.] "Sorry for everything." Croquette thought about returning Kedama to Emiliana but hesitated. With great effort, she kissed Kedama on the forehead. "Kedama-chan. It’s time to say goodbye-nya." [Nooo! I want to go back with Rude-chan and Oneechan!] "You shouldn’t be selfish-nya..." "That's right. You should stay with your Mama." [I don't want to!] Kedama started to squirm and struggle in Croquette’s arms. [Um, if it's alright...] "Yes?" [I want to show this child the outside world. I must continue as queen for another five hundred years. Until this child grows up and becomes a fine person, I cannot leave this country. When I got separated from this child, it was because I was in disguise...] If she was in disguise, it must have been some sort of inspection or something like that. According to Emiliana, there may come a time when they will fall into hardship. For this reason, there will likely come a time when they’ll need to figure out how to get supplies from outside. Additionally, she would like to show Kedama the world outside. It seems that this event happened just when that thought crossed her mind. "I understand. Kedama, will you come with us?" [Yes. I want to be with Rude-chan. I want to be with Oneechan too-nya.] "We’re together again-nya." [I’m sorry for my spoiled daughter...] And so, the farewell was called off. They were able to continue living with Kedama. Rude and Croquette were overjoyed.
▼
Rude and Croquette decided to stay here for the night. Since it was a good opportunity, they decided to explore the country. Since Emiliana was holding Kedama and wouldn’t let go, only Rude and Croquette came out. They received a small amount of the country’s currency from her. It was large but made of a very light metal. Rude had never seen anything like it. It was several times larger than the copper or silver coins they usually used. It was something that could barely fit into a pocket. They had no choice but to ask for a cloth bag, put it in there, with Rude ending up carrying it. Rude really wanted to see the food of this country, no matter what. He wondered if the food was really so tasteless that Kedama would cry and refuse to eat it. He thought about what they should bring in from outside because of that. "It’s really big-nya." "Yeah, but it’s such a beautiful place." "Yes-nya. The air is really clean too-nya." "Yeah. Actually, this place has a concentration of magical energy similar to Walgard." "Hmm, I don’t really understand-nya." "Haha. Well, it means that even if I use all my strength, I wouldn’t collapse." "Wow, that’s amazing-nya!" Even so, Croquette didn’t really get it. The buildings are primarily made of wood. The ground beneath their feet was cobblestone. Some people were flying in the sky, while others were walking. Since the dragon can move just like a human, it wouldn’t be strange to describe it as a person. Additionally, it has the advantage of being able to fly. Why did Emiliana call Walgard a "strong nation"? Rude couldn’t help but wonder. "It smells really good-nya." "Yeah. It smells like roasting meat." Following the smell, there were rows of shops lined up. As expected, these buildings were made of wood as well. Rude, not one to be shy, decided to try buying something right away. "Excuse me, could I have one of those?" [Oh, huh? I’ve never seen anyone who’s not a Dragna. Can you understand our language?] The man was a Dragna, having scales that resembled armor instead of feathers. However, he skillfully skewered the meat and roasted it over charcoal. "Yes. I understand." [Aren’t you scared? I’ve heard that humans are afraid of us.] "It’s fine. It smells delicious. Can I have one?" [Ah, no problem.] "Is this okay?" Rude took a coin out of his pocket. [Here you go. Be careful, it’s hot. This is your change.] He received one skewer and a few coins of different colors. "Thank you very much." [Well, living a long life has its rewards. I can actually talk to a human child. I could probably brag to my family about this. You’ll probably be full after just one skewer, so you should eat together.] "Yes-nya." Rude sat down in a place with grass that looked like turf a little farther away. Croquette sat beside him, and Rude held out a skewer of grilled meat in front of Croquette. "Here you go, Oneechan. Aaah." "Ahh. Munch, munch..." Rude took a bite as well. "Mmm... gulp. This is..." "It’s not good-nya..." "Yeah. It’s not good." The meat had a wild flavor, a good texture, and was full of juice, making it delicious. The grilling was perfect, but that’s all there was to it. Only the natural flavor of the ingredients stands out. It’s really a shame. The thing is, there’s no seasoning. "It’s delicious meat, but even Kedama would cry over this." "Yeah-nya..." The vegetables and fruits they found along the way were also delicious. However, no matter where they asked, salt was a luxury item. The price was several times higher than the skewered meat. As for the spices, they were more than ten times the price of salt. There seemed to be wheat as well, and they had something resembling bread, but it was just dough made from wheat flour and baked. There was no flavor. They also ate a dish made of stewed vegetables and meat. There was barely any sweetness from the vegetables, and it lacked flavor. It seems that rock salt can be obtained in this region, though in small quantities. Still, the reserves seem to be small, and it’s not cheap enough to be used in skewers or stews. Salt and spices have become such luxury items that they’re considered indulgences. It became clear that transporting salt and spices was essential. The language barrier is a cultural barrier. They can survive, but the lack of richness is overwhelming. Emiliana probably wanted to snack on something from a street vendor. She must have been desperately searching for a place where they could communicate. Still, there was no place like that. She returned in a state of disappointment, only to find Kedama was missing. She must have panicked. "We have to do something about this, don’t we?" "That’s right-nya." With a feeling of resignation, they headed back to Emiliana and Kedama.
▼
That evening, they were treated to dinner by Emiliana. Being from the royal family, it seems they could use a bit of salt and spices, but it was still bland to Rude and the others. The ingredients were of high quality. The meat and vegetables were as wonderful as those in Walgard. The problem was, it lacked flavor. [It’s not tasty... I want to eat Oneechan’s food!] [Don’t say such spoiled things.] [But...] Because Kedama had spent so much time with Rude and the others, she had developed a refined taste. They could only laugh wryly at this. Even in the village where Croquette grew up, salt was a valuable commodity. Rude had never had trouble because Rudia would regularly bring rock salt, but he didn’t know this until he heard it from her. Because of such memories, both Rude and Croquette wanted to do something about it. Since Sea Wales has salt fields, obtaining salt is not that difficult. There are regions where sugar is considered a luxury item, but Rude never expected salt to be treated this way. After the meal, Emiliana called over a woman. She was the one who served dinner. A beautiful dragon woman with distinctive red scales. [This is my niece, Camellia, a Flaredragon. She is serving as a maid for etiquette training.] [Pleased to meet you, my name is Camellia.] [Would you mind taking this child with you?] "Yes. With pleasure. I look forward to working with you, Camellia." [Yes, Rude-sama, Croquette-sama.] [Camellia, take this with you.] Emiliana handed a ring to Camellia. However, it seemed like it wouldn’t fit her finger. [Isn’t this the national treasure?] "A national treasure?" [Yes, this is a ring for transforming into a human. It’s a result of years of research and combines the best of Meldrado’s magic. It took many years to finally create it. However, there is only one, and even if you use it to become human, the language barrier still exists, so it hasn’t been used.] [But for someone like me...] [It’s fine. Take this and serve the two of them. I am entrusting Marianne to you. She looks up to Rude like a brother and to Croquette like a sister. So, you will serve Rude and Croquette as your masters. This is my order as queen. Do you understand?] [Yes. Understood.] Camellia held the ring to her chest and began chanting a difficult spell. Even Rude couldn’t understand the meaning. Then, Camellia’s body began to glow. When the light gathered into a small point. "Rude-chan, you can’t look!" Croquette quickly covered Rude’s eyes with both hands. "Huh? What’s wrong?" "Camellia-san, she’s naked!" "Ah... I apologize." [I-I’m sorry. I’ll create clothes with magic now.] "What do you mean, 'create'?" [With the power of the ring, you can alter your scales to make them look like clothes.] "So, isn’t that basically just being naked?" [I don’t usually wear clothes, though...?] Come to think of it, that’s true. Eventually, she copied Croquette’s clothes and ended up in a similar appearance. It was truly an impressive sight. No matter how you look at it, she looked like she was wearing clothes. It was probably similar in logic to how Rude switches between human and Fenrir form. It’s impressive enough that the clothes don’t tear. "No, you can’t-nya!" Once again, Croquette blocked Rude’s eyes. Meanwhile, Kedama perched on Rude’s shoulder. "Huh? What’s wrong, Kedama?" [You know, I was thinking if I could try something like this.] Maybe it was her competitive spirit, but Kedama grabbed Rude’s clothes and began fluttering her wings. She had become stronger than Rude had expected. At the same time, Rude was amazed by Kedama’s physical abilities. She was able to lift off while holding onto Rude’s shoulder. "W-whoa, Kedama, that’s amazing!" [Hehe, amazing, right? Rude-chan!] While only a small lift off the ground, she managed to lift Rude, whose weight was several times heavier than hers. She quickly ran out of energy and collapsed onto Rude’s head. Croquette grabbed Rude’s hand and decided to praise Kedama. "Kedama-chan, that was amazing-nya!" "Yeah, I’m surprised." [Hehe.] Kedama weakly laughed on top of Rude’s head. "By the way, when was Marianne born?" Emiliana answered that question. [It was winter the year before last. It’ll be three years soon.] "Wow. She’s only two, but she can talk this well. Amazing, Kedama." [Amazing, amazing!] "She’s just like Rude-chan, isn’t she-nya?" Camellia looked at them with a puzzled expression. [Croquette-sama, you can understand our language as well?] "I can understand it when I’m touching Rude-chan like this-nya." [I see... it’s more complex than I thought... So, Rude-sama has that kind of power?] "Hahaha." That night, after they borrowed the bath, Rude and the others slept in the guest room they were assigned. The bed made for Dragna was enormous. Croquette was offering a lap pillow, but there was still more than enough room. Even when it came to the bath, Croquette tried to join, but Rude adamantly refused even though it was so big. "Rude-chan." "Hmm?" "It’s good we came, right?" "Yes, it is." "Rude-chan, you were crying yesterday, right?" "Forget about it!" Rude became embarrassed and covered his face with his hands. Before long, Rude was asleep, breathing softly on Croquette’s lap. Croquette gently kissed Rude’s forehead. "I’m glad we didn’t have to part with Kedama-chan. Rude-chan..."
Chapter length 5586 characters.
< TOC >
Comments
Post a Comment