Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 37
After breakfast, Rudia changes into a dress from the mansion.
Understanding that her regular outfit wouldn't be appropriate for the palace, she reluctantly agrees to change.
Rude is putting on the attire that Rudia had set out for him.
Since Yetta was adorned in a beautiful kimono, they agreed she could remain as is.
While relaxing with tea made by Rude after changing, there was a knock at the door.
"Oh? I hadn’t contacted anyone yet today, but could someone be here to pick us up?"
"Maybe?"
"I apologize for coming so early this morning."
A tall man dressed in butler attire steps inside.
Without hesitation, he suddenly bows deeply, making a dull sound.
It was almost like a five-body prostration, similar to a deep bow.
The three of them were taken aback.
"On behalf of my brother Aristo, I wish to express my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you, Lady Ferruida."
"What, your brother?"
"You are Lord Femrude, aren’t you? I have come to apologize on behalf of my brother, who has mocked and insulted your mother."
"Aristo? Who is that?"
"Ah, I remember now. That was the name of your father."
"Yes. I am truly sorry."
"It's fine, mister. Please, raise your head. I’m confused by this sudden act."
"Rude, look at the hair color. This isn’t a mister, it’s a miss."
"Eh?"
"It’s been a while, Ilyssera."
"Yes, Lady Ferruida. I am embarrassed to apologize on behalf of my foolish brother-."
"Just raise your head already."
"...Understood."
"Rude, heal her."
"Yes, yes, ‘Heal’."
"Such a waste…"
Ilyssera had long green hair that reached her waist, neatly braided to avoid getting in the way.
Despite that, she was a striking beauty dressed as a man.
As her hair color suggested, she was indeed a woman.
Because she was dressed like a butler, Rude had misunderstood.
She had struck her head quite hard on the floor, prompting Rude to offer healing.
It seems she knelt to make it easier for Rude to heal her, which shows her kind nature.
"It’s good to see you again, Lady Ferruida."
"Your straightforward personality hasn’t changed."
"Well, if that foolish brother of mine hadn’t done such things…"
"Rudia, who is this?"
"Yetta, this is my ex-husband’s sister—"
"Nice to meet you Lady Yetta. I am Ilyssera, the eldest daughter of the ducal family. Please, call me Ilys. I’m here to apologize for my foolish brother, or rather, as a representative of the duke’s family that has remained inactive…"
"Alright, let’s calm down.”
"Yes, I apologize. I’ve become fed up with the duke’s family and severed my ties with them."
"What?"
"Mom, what does that mean?"
"This child has been like this since her student days. She hates dishonesty and always fought with her family. She would run away and come to my house."
"No, this time I’m truly fed up. That house can just collapse. Lord Femrude."
"Yes?"
"Would you consider hiring me as your servant?"
"W-what?"
Yetta looked into Ilys’s eyes, understanding her character somewhat, and smiled wryly.
Rudia appeared unbothered, as though she had been aware of this for a long time.
"In this case, she won’t budge. That’s how she has always been."
"Mom…"
"It may be wise to accept defeat. Also, this child is extremely intelligent. She could be more than sufficient as a butler. Once Rude becomes king, you will require a trusted aide, don’t you think? This child is strong… about as strong as I am."
"Oh no, you’re too humble. I’ve sparred with Lady Ferruida countless times, but I’ve never won even once."
"That’s only natural. You knew I couldn’t lose, right? Given her circumstances, I had a feeling it might turn out this way. In fact, I think she has shown remarkable patience up to this point."
"Don’t talk about it like it’s someone else’s issue."
"Oh? It is someone else’s issue. I didn’t become queen, you know."
Rudia chuckled softly.
When in Walgard, Rudia returned to this kind of youthful demeanor.
Once the healing was finished, Rude repositioned himself between Rudia and Yetta.
"Oh, I’ll go make some tea."
"No, I will. Lord Femrude, please stay as you are."
"You can just call me Rude."
"Thank you, Lord Rude."
"No that's, you don’t have to call me ‘Lord’…"
"It’s impossible. This child is very particular about such formalities. It’s been challenging for me as well…"
When Ilys returned to brew the tea, she stood in front of Rude.
"Um, could you please sit down?"
"No, someone like me shouldn’t…"
Rude gathered strength in his left eye.
"Sit down."
The effect only manifested within a range of about ten steps from Rude.
A white mist enveloped the surroundings.
"Well, I suppose that’s unavoidable. Just this once, okay?"
Ilys blushed slightly and reluctantly decided to sit down.
"Oh? So it really only works as a ‘request’?"
"Exactly. This child might have sworn allegiance to Rude."
"Honestly…"
"Was that ‘domination’ just now?"
"Yes. It’s still limited to this extent."
"I see. So, it’s true that unless there’s an adversarial relationship, it really only functions as a ‘request.’"
"That's right."
Ilys seemed not to understand what was being said.
Rude, with a wry smile, turned to Rudia.
"Mom, what is this about?"
"Grandma Ferris, or rather, Mother was angry. The head of the Wolfeld family tried to maintain appearances."
"Yes. That foolish man, my father, fled. He ought to have punished my foolish brother. Instead, he protected him, favoring his son. A family that was meant to support the royal family has turned into a corrupt one, merely pursuing profit."
"Is that the person I mentioned wanting to punch?"
"That’s right. Although he may no longer be worth hitting."
Looking into Rudia’s eyes, Yetta realized everything.
"I see. So Rude’s brother has passed away, and that’s what happened. It must have been tough for you, Ferruida."
"It’s something that’s passed. Besides, meeting Rude might be thanks to that child. Maybe that child made it so I wouldn’t feel lonely. Thanks to this child’s kindness and that child’s feelings, I was able to meet him just once. That little child, who couldn’t speak, told me, ‘I love you, Mama.’ I was so happy…"
Rude and the others were fine, but Yetta in front of them was not Fenrir.
She was undeniably a very honest woman.
It was strange that no one said anything while looking at Yetta.
"By the way, Ilys-san."
"Please call me Ilys. What can I help you with?"
"Ilys… what’s your feelings about other races?"
"Yes. My family was one that valued pure blood, but I am different. I was inspired by what Lady Ferris said about how such old beliefs lead to the decline of Walgard. Besides, um, it’s really beautiful, isn’t it?"
Ilys's eyes were fixed on Yetta’s tail.
Her tail moved playfully, causing Ilys’s eyes to dart left and right.
Seeing this, Yetta must have understood something.
"Rude-chan, can you try casting that spell I taught you?"
"Huh? Here?"
"Yes."
"Um, was it ‘Here Lies the Proof and Strength of the Fox, Dog, and Tanuki’?"
With a cute sound of 'pop,' smoke appeared, and when it cleared, Rude’s ears and seven tails appeared.
Just as Yetta had predicted, Ilys’s gaze shifted to Rude’s tails.
Ilys was mesmerized, gazing at Rude’s tails.
"W-what is this... it’s incredibly cute!"
"Hehe. Ilys has always adored cute things. But, since the academy students praised her for being cool, she couldn’t express her interests…"
"──You knew about that?!"
"Yes. I also knew that the reason you stubbornly don’t let anyone into your room is because of that."
"Unbelievable. Despite being the next king, this cuteness... This is the ultimate advantage. It's unfair..."
If it weren't for her hair color, one might mistake her for a guy; yet Ilys, who looked so dignified, loved 'cute things.'
Ilys looked quite good in the butler uniform.
She probably rarely dressed as a woman.
"Speaking of which, Ilys once caused a big fuss at the academy when you wore a boy's uniform."
"If it looks good, then that’s perfectly alright!"
At this point, she was being teased mercilessly by Rudia.
"So, what are you going to do, Rude?"
"I don’t really know what to do."
"You can decide for yourself, you know?"
"Hmm......"
"Please, I have no place to return to."
"Okay."
Just like when he responded to his brother, Femrude, Rude replied with a single word.
"Really?"
"I told you it’s okay."
"Thank you. I will dedicate myself to serving Master Femrude until the end of my life."
Ilys rose to her feet, placing her left hand on her chest, and bowed in a manner reminiscent of a storybook butler, with her right hand behind her back.
▼
"The carriage is ready. Please come to the entrance, everyone."
"A carriage, you say?"
Rudia asked.
"Yes, I borrowed it as a severance payment from the duke's family. It was unworthy of such scoundrels."
It probably means she brought the head of the duke's household's carriage.
When Rude and the others arrived at the entrance, a magnificent carriage unlike the one they had ridden before was waiting.
Seeing the much larger carriage, it looked like it must have cost a considerable amount to make.
Rude intended to let Yetta board first, but he vaguely understood why Ilys mentioned being a butler instead of a maid.
It makes sense that a woman would know how to escort another woman well.
She easily guided Yetta to the carriage.
"Oh? I apologize."
"Not at all; she is one of Master Rude’s mothers. Please don’t concern yourself. Lady Ferruida, after you."
"Okay. Thank you."
Rude had no role to play in this.
"Please, Master Rude."
"I’m not a woman, so I can manage on my own."
"It’s kind of cute how Master Rude is a little angry…"
"Geez. You did that on purpose, didn’t you…"
"……Well then, I shall proceed."
Iris took her seat at the driver's position and drove the carriage.
▼
For Yetta, the commercial district of Walgard was quite novel.
"It has a quiet atmosphere while brimming with a sense of life. It’s a nice town."
"Yes, it’s a town I was fond of when I was younger."
"You were quite well-known, right? ‘The Princess of—’"
"Ilys! Do you know what will happen if you say any more?"
"Y-yes! I’m terribly sorry."
"You’re Rude’s servant, right? Be aware of your standing."
"Understood!"
It seemed she was being harsh, but perhaps she just didn’t want to be called the ‘Princess of Street Food.’
Of course, both Rude and Yetta were aware of this.
Both of them were watching the exchange between Rudia and Ilys with a wry smile, though the two were unaware of it.
They passed through the commercial district and entered the administrative area.
Shortly after, the royal castle came into view.
As they parked the carriage at the castle entrance, it appeared the castle servants would handle it for them.
Rude intended to get down first and finally escort Yetta properly.
"Thank you, Rude-chan."
"No, you're my precious mother."
"Rude?"
"Yes, mom."
Rudia also reached out as Rude escorted her.
Rudia on Rude’s right, and Yetta on his left.
Ilys followed a step behind as they entered the royal castle.
What awaited the three as they were shown to the room was this remark from Ferris.
"Long time no see, Femrude-chan. I've missed you; please make me some pudding."
"Okay, okay. I got it, Mother Ferris."
"Huh? Mother?"
"Yes, since you are my mother's mother's mother., I thought I’d call you that."
"That’s nice. Yes, yes. Can I call you Rude-chan as well?"
"Yes. That’s fine, Mother Ferris."
"That’s wonderful, Rude-chan."
"Yes."
"Make some pudding."
"Okay, okay, I’ll make it now."
Ferris turned to Yetta and smiled brightly.
"Ferruida. Who might that be?"
"It’s a pleasure to meet you. I am Yetta, the Grand Duke in Volks. Borrowing from Rude-chan's words, I am his biological mother's mother's mother."
A puff of smoke appeared, revealing nine large tails.
"Ah, the famous 'Eye' has arrived. I recognized the name. I'm Ferris. Rude's mother's mother's mother."
They gazed at each other and smiled.
It was a greeting without humility or caution, purely two kindred spirits.
Ferris, associated with Annihilation.
Yetta, the one known as 'the Eye.'
Ferris is legendary in this world as someone never to be touched.
Similarly, Yetta is known to be impossible to hide things from in a direct meeting.
If you meet her gaze, your thoughts will be laid bare.
It's known as an incredible force that should never be challenged.
Both are long-lived beings, and terrifyingly still 'active.'
This marked the encounter of the greatest force and the greatest deterrent.
Chapter length 6102 characters.
Note: I know "mother's mother's mother" seems weird but that was how it was in the raw, plus due to Yetta's aversion to the word "Grandmother" she surely would never call herself one.
Comments
Post a Comment