Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 70

When Rude woke up in the morning, Croquette and Kedama, who were supposed to be lying next to him, were missing.

"Ah, that's right, were back at Sea Wales."


Most likely, Croquette was preparing breakfast.

He thought Kedama had probably gone along too


In the washroom, he washed his face and brushed his teeth.


It was right after he arrived in Sea Wales.


Rude had a small brush, resembling a toothbrush, crafted from the tough fur of a beast.


It turned out to be something similar to a pig-bristle toothbrush.


Apparently, even in advanced countries like Walgard, they would use strong, thick reed-like stems instead of toothpicks.


The reason for this was that, unlike humans, beastfolk had much stronger teeth than expected.

It had been a lot of trouble before, but now everyone in the family had recognized its practicality, and everyone uses it without thinking twice.

Of course, Elise had commercialized it, and it had become a hit product for the Elise Trading Company.


While there was no toothpaste, adding a bit of salt and brushing would give one a fresh, clean feeling.


This morning, when Rude went to the living room feeling refreshed, he found that he had overslept the most.


Usually, Rudia would be the last to wake up, but since she's in Elanzrild, it's Rude who sleeps in the longest.


Something felt off.


Rude felt a sense of discomfort.

Even Croquette, who was usually the one making breakfast, was sitting down and staring at something.

"Good morni- What’s going on?"


"Rude-chan, look."


"Hmm?"

At the spot Croquette pointed to, Kedama was standing.


Kedama was standing up on its hind legs, firmly holding something with its small hands.


With its eyes closed and back arched, it was flapping its wings desperately.


"You can do it-nya, Kedama-chan."


"Kedama-chan, do your best!"

"Keep going, please!"


Yetta and Ilys were both completely engrossed in cheering on Kedama.


Kedama’s feet gently lifted off the ground.


It was just a little, but it floated.


Rude and Croquette were surprised.


"You did it!"


"You did it-nya."

"Yes, you flew!"

"Kedama-chan, you worked hard."

Dragons might really grow up quickly.


It was only a slight moment of floating.


Even so, it was amazing.


Perhaps Kedama had gotten tired, as it stopped flapping and collapsed face down.


Kedama sluggishly sat up and puffed out its chest as it looked at Rude.


It opened its mouth just a bit, as though it were boasting.


[Rude-chan, am I great?]


"Yeah, you did great, Kedama."


"You’re great-nya."


Kedama slumped down again, lying on its stomach.


"W-what's wrong-nya?"


[I'm hungry (grumble).]


"Onee-chan."


"Yes-nya."


"It says it's hungry."


"Oh no, I forgot!" 


[I forgot.]

Croquette quickly ran back to the kitchen.



 ▼


Rude had gone out with Croquette for a little shopping trip.


Kedama had requested Ilys's assistance.


Ilys was taking care of it, completely smitten.


Rude's destination was a workshop that made cooking utensils.


There, he bought a small pestle-like item and an iron ladle for soup.


Croquette had noticed that Rude seemed off.


"Rude-chan, why don’t you sit with me for a while-nya?"


"U-uh..."


Croquette gently pulled Rude’s hand and sat them both down in a place with a view of the ocean.


Rude joined her and sat down next to her.


Croquette tightened her grip on Rude’s hand slightly.


She rested her head on Rude’s shoulder

"Rude-chan, why are you feeling down?"


"…You can tell, huh, Onee-chan?"


"Well, I’ve been watching you since you were little, Rude-chan."


"…Well, Oneechan."


Croquette, perhaps noticing the tears in Rude’s eyes, gently guided Rude onto her lap.


Rude, without hesitation, buried his face in Croquette’s lap and spoke in a strained voice.


Croquette could feel the slight warmth spreading around her thigh.


He was probably shedding tears.


While gently stroking Rude's head, Croquette responded.


"…Yes-nya."


"I’ve decided to take Kedama back to her mom."


"……I figured you’d say that-nya."

"You know, I always thought of Kedama like my little sister."

"Yes-nya."

"She’s cheeky, eats a lot, sleeps a lot. So cute and fluffy..."

"Indeed-nya."

"But Kedama has a mom too. I’m sure she’s feeling lonely not being able to see her."

"That’s true-nya."

"So, I’m going to make some sweets, feed them to her, and then tomorrow, I’ll search for Kedama’s mom. I have a rough idea of where she is, so I think I can find her using the power Elcid gave me."

"I see-nya."

"Aren’t you sad, Oneechan?"

"I’m sad too-nya. I love Kedama as well you know-nya."

"Yeah, I know."


"But, if the kind Rude-chan wants to do that, then it’s the best thing to do, nya."


"Thank you..."


He had received forgiveness from Croquette as well.


He had decided to return Kedama to her family.


That was the decision Rude had made.



Rude and Croquette returned home


He used magic to heal his swollen eyes.


Rude, now holding Croquette’s hand tightly, was smiling.


"I’m home."


"Welcome back, Rude-chan, Croquette-chan."


"Kedama-chan, that’s not something you can eat..."


Yetta must have known.


That Rude had been crying.


"I’ll make something delicious now, so wait for me. I’ll teach you how to make it, Oneechan."


"Yes-nya!"


Rude started giving instructions to Croquette, who was standing in front of the kitchen.


He washed the pestle he bought and set it out to dry.


He heated the ladle with magic, then cooled it and sterilized it.


After preparing a damp cloth, all the preparations were complete.


"That's right. If you do it like this, you can separate the yolk from the egg white. Keep the yolk to use in your cooking later. Add a little baking soda to the egg whites. Then, if you keep stirring, it will puff up. After that, add a bit of sugar, and there you have it, the magic potion, baking soda eggs."


"A magic potion-nya?"


"Yes. Then, you put some sugar and water in the ladle. Yes, just like that. Heat it over the fire, making sure not to burn it. Once it’s heated up, place it on that cloth."


"Like this-nya?"


"Yes. Once it cools a bit, take a little of the baking soda egg and put it on the pestle. That’s right. Then, stir the hot sugar around."


"Stir, stir... Wow, it’s starting to puff up-nya!"


"Yes, now remove the pestle."


"Yes-nya."

The contents of the ladle began to puff up.


"Let it cool slowly like that. It will gradually harden."


After a while, the puffing stopped.


Rude prepared a plate.


"Let me borrow that for a second. I'll heat it up a bit, and then, see? It’ll start to peel off."


"Unya......"

Rude smoothly transferred it from the ladle to the plate.


With a "clink," it landed on the plate.

"And it’s done. It was an easy recipe, right?"


"Yes-nya. But what kind of sweet is this-nya?"

"Mother Yetta knows this. She’s sure to be surprised."


"I’m looking forward to it-nya!"


"Next, I’ll use magic to make it quickly and easily."


Rude repeated the heating and cooling with magic, creating about ten of them.


He carried the pile of them on the plate to the living room where Yetta and the others were waiting.


"Mother Yetta. Ilys, Kedama. It’s done!"


Yetta was shocked, her eyes round with surprise, exactly as Rude had said.


"R-Rude-chan, that’s... isn’t that caramelized sugar?"


"Yeah. I was able to crystallize the baking soda, so I tried making it."


"
Honeycomb toffee, is that what it is?"


[
Honeycomb toffee?]


"Yeah. Croquette-chan have some as well, okay?"


"Ah, yes-nya."

Croquette also sat down and picked up one of the
Honeycomb toffee pieces.

"It’s more than nostalgic. I remember making it at school and messing up, laughing with friends, or buying it at the festival and eating it... The texture, the aroma, the sweetness... It’s simple and delicious."


"I thought Mother Yetta would know about it. And Ilys try it too, it’s delicious."


"Thank you very much."


Ilys held it with both hands, took a small bite like a squirrel, and chewed.


She seemed to like it, as her face lit up in surprise, then she nibbled a bit, enjoying the crunch, and with a happy expression.


"It’s fluffy and crunchy-nya. A little bitter, but sweet too."


"Yeah. Here Kedama let's see if you like it as well."


Rude broke it into small pieces and fed one to Kedama.


Despite being so small, Kedama had all its teeth and ate with a crisp sound, chewing skillfully.


Kedama appeared to be thoroughly enjoying the sweetness.


[Crisp and sweet. Rude-chan, it’s delicious!]


"Yeah, I think it turned out great."


Rude broke off a piece and ate a small amount, just like Kedama.


Rude likely didn’t have any memory of having eaten this before.


What lingered more was the bittersweet taste of the farewell that awaited with Kedama.


It was a sweetness similar to the brief yet happy memories.


A single tear slid down Rude’s cheek.



That night, after the meal, Rude went to sleep with Kedama.


Kedama was lying on Rude's stomach, sleeping with arms and legs spread out.


Kedama, happily murmuring in its sleep, while Rude frowned slightly in discomfort.


The three of them quietly watched from outside the room, looking at the two of them.


"Tomorrow, Rude said he’d send Kedama back to its parents-nya."


"I thought so..."


"It’s just like Lord Rude..."


"Yes-nya."


They were whispering quietly to avoid waking the two.


Tonight, to avoid disturbing the two, Croquette decided to sleep in Yetta's room.


The next morning, Rude was seen brushing Kedama's teeth in the washroom.

[It’s spicy, it doesn’t taste good! (Gugya, gugu)]


"Come on, you’re a girl, you have to keep clean or people will dislike you."


[I don’t want that! I’ll do my best!]


After brushing, Rude gently wiped around Kedama’s mouth with a wet towel.


[Is it clean? (Gugya)]


"Yep, nice and clean."


[I did it! (Gugya)]


After finishing washing and brushing teeth, they headed to the living room to have breakfast.


As usual, Kedama ate a full meal and then rolled over onto its back, lying there.


They say it grows fast, and that’s certainly true.


After all, it eats twice as much as Rude.


"Well then, see you, Oneechan."


"Yes-nya."


"Take care, Rude-chan."


"Have a safe journey, Lord Rude."


"Rude, um..."


"Yeah, I know. I’m off now."


"I'm off-nya."


Croquette picked up Kedama and held Rude's hand.


Rude's hand was damp with sweat.


It was obvious that Rude was enduring something.


[Oh? Are we going out?]


Kedama's vocabulary was growing day by day.


"Yeah, probably a walk."


"Yes-nya."


[I’m heading out, nya! (Gugyagya)]


Yetta and Ilys watched Rude’s back as they left.


Ilys probably wanted to follow as well, but she respected Rude’s feelings and decided against it.


"O ancestral garment, change your form to darkness."

Rude takes on the form of Fenrir at a location a little distance from Sea Wales.


He could have transformed into his seven-tailed form to save time, but decided it could wait until they arrived at the forest.


It was because he wanted to stay with Kedama for as long as possible.


Croquette climbed onto Rude's back, still holding Kedama.


Fur as fluffy and the same color as Kedama's.


That large, sturdy back.


[Huh? Rude-chan? Is that you?]


"Yes, it’s me."


[You look so cool!]


"Thank you."


"He's so cool isn't he-nya."


[Yeah. That's right-nya.]

Rude starts running at a slow pace.


He gradually increases his speed, careful not to cause any shaking.


[Wow! So fast! Amazing!]


"Yeah, it is-nya."


He briefly turns his head and looks at Kedama with a side glance.


Kedama looked like she was enjoying herself in Croquette's arms.

Croquette gave up on trying to hold it in.

Tears streamed from her eyes, flowing far behind.


It was hard for Croquette too.


Because she was facing the inevitable farewell to Kedama, whom she adored.



After running for some time, Rude arrived at the forest where he was raised.


As expected, they were able to move much faster than by carriage.


Perhaps they were in perfect harmony.

As when Rude stopped, Croquette got off his back.


Rude returned to his human form for a moment.


"Here Lies the Proof and Strength of the Fox, Dog, and Tanuki."

On Rude's head, large fox ears and seven tails materialized.


"Manifest the form of the ancestor, show the proof as a mark."

The shape of his ears and the texture of his fur slightly changed.


Rude, now in his beastolk form, picked up both Kedama and Croquette.


He immediately soared upwards, landing at the top of the tree.


From there, he leaped even higher, moving forward.


Jumping from branch to branch, heading for the mountain peak where Kedama was likely to have been born.





Chapter length 5693 characters.


< TOC >

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 1

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 37

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 6