Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 46
Ilys asked Fret to somehow get Johns to treat her normally after returning to her original form.
Johns had no choice but to comply when his master said so.
Though slightly fearful, he did his best to not let it show.
"—So, I’ve been liberating the beastfolk who have been captured in this nation because of my own desires."
"Is that so? Is Lady Elise Rese perhaps…?"
"Yes. She’s living with me at my house. She's doing well."
"That’s good to hear. My late wife was worried about her."
"Thank you for your concern."
Rude felt that Fret genuinely cared for Elise’s well-being.
'He’s truly a kind person,' he thought.
"No, I am just a low-ranking noble, much lower than you. I’m happy just to be able to talk like this…"
"No, I abandoned this country. Please don’t mind it."
"Even so…"
"Excuse me, is it alright if I speak with everyone?"
"Absolutely, please go ahead and speak."
"Thank you very much."
Rude approached Johns, who was tending to the garden's trees.
His hands moved with such skill that Rude found himself watching in admiration.
Sure enough, Johns seemed to notice Rude's presence.
"Ah, I’m sorry to interrupt your work."
"No, um…"
"Yes."
"I can smell the same scent as that lady coming from you, Lord Rude."
The sense of smell of dogfolk should not be underestimated.
Johns likely understood what was going on.
Since there was no need to conceal anything anymore, Rude chose to be honest.
"Yes, I’m also a Fenrir."
"Then…"
"Please don’t. I really struggle with that submission thing."
As Rude smiled wryly, Johns's expression gradually softened.
It appeared he was willing to stop working and talk to Rude.
"My master, Fret, taught us the language."
Indeed, Johns was speaking human language, not beast language.
Though occasionally awkward, he seemed to be using the language effectively.
"Indeed."
"Yes. The catfolk who brought tea earlier, Frenda, along with her sister Brenda, and another dogfolk, Meredy, and I manage this estate together."
"Oh? Who is that woman holding the boy in the garden?"
"Ah, I’ve heard she isn’t official, but she is indeed the lady of the house."
"Really? Is that so?"
"Maybe when you talk to her you could consider talking in a hushed tone to keep the young master asleep?"
"Sure, I’ll keep that in mind."
"I appreciate it. Our current situation is thanks to them, after all."
With a smile and a respectful bow, Johns gestured for Rude to go ahead.
Rude approached the white-haired catfolk in the courtyard, trying to make as little noise as possible.
The woman seemed to notice Rude as well, giving a slight bow to avoid waking the boy.
"Nice to meet you, my name is Rude."
"Thank you for your politeness. I apologize for staying like this, as it might wake Milis. My name is Whitney. Oh? You smell like a catfolk too."
"Yes, I have an older sister who is also my fiancée who is a catfolk."
"Oh, really? I thought you might have heard from Mr. Johns about our master’s—"
"So, you’re his wife, correct?"
"I’m not worthy of such a title…"
"Shh. You’ll wake Myris you know?"
"Ah, my apologies…"
"There’s a catfolk village deep in the forest beyond this country. That’s where I met my fiancée."
"That’s interesting. However, you’re not human, right?"
"Can you tell? My mother has some foxfolk blood in her. Due to various circumstances, I have multiple beastfolk bloodlines."
"Oh, I understand now. That’s why you have that scent. I couldn’t go to my lord because I was holding Myris. But I was surprised to hear the word ‘Fenrir’ a moment ago."
"Indeed, I carry Fenrir blood as well. To be honest, I might have more Fenrir blood than anything else.”
"I’m sorry. If I weren’t dressed like this, I would show more submission…"
"Oh, please spare me from that. I’m not used to it."
It seemed that Whitney understood from Rude’s wry smile.
"I was fortunate that my master purchased me. After that, I received compliments for resembling his late wife a bit. So, um…"
"So that’s how you came to be in your current relationship."
"Yes, even though my master is a noble in this country, I’m just a lowly—"
"You should change that way of thinking, you know? My precious older sister is also a catfolk."
"Oh, right. I apologize…"
"You see, the reason people think that way is because of this country. Up until today, I’ve been rescuing dogfolk and catfolk who have been captured in this nation. I intended to do the same today, but seeing Whitney and the others made me realize I need to change my way of thinking. I believe it would be wonderful if more people like Fret were around. I just want to get along with people of various races. That’s my motivation."
"I’m glad to hear that. I wish Myris could become like that as well."
"Well, just wait and see. Soon, I’ll make it so that Myris and you can take a walk outside together. That’s my mission."
"Who exactly are you…?"
"You know, this is just between us, okay? I’m actually the next king of Walgard."
"W-What…?"
"So please stop with the submissive pose, alright? Hahaha."
Thinking that continuing the conversation would wake Myris, Rude winked and left the area.
His next destination was the kitchen.
He thought they would be busy working, but to his surprise, the three were having a chat.
Seeing this, Rude found it somewhat amusing.
"Hey, Frenda-oneesan, didn’t that guest seem a bit cute?"
"Yes, Brenda. They were cute, but apparently, they’re a noble."
"Yeah, I noticed they had a really strong scent. But still, they’re cute!"
"That’s right. Meredy thought so too. They are cute, aren’t they?"
"What’s wrong, Brenda?"
"Ah, ah, ah… um…"
"Huh?"
"I’m so sorry!"
Meredy assumed the pose of submission.
Brenda and Frenda both instinctively laid down in the same manner.
"Ah, could you not do that, please?"
Rude thought, ‘I’m too late.’
The catfolk sisters, Frenda and Brenda, have tiger-striped fur.
It seems that Meredy, the red-haired long-haired dogfolk, and the two sisters serve as maids in this estate.
"I can only think that we were truly lucky."
"Yeah, I thought it was all over when I got caught by a human."
"Yes, it seemed that our master had somewhat unusual tastes. He was very fond of us. Young Myris was the same. I had only heard that beastfolk were shunned in this country, so it was quite surprising."
Somehow, when three women gathered, Rude felt overwhelmed.
After Rude said, 'You don’t need to be reserved,' he was hugged and petted, making it difficult for him to settle down.
"I thought I could do my best anywhere since I was with my sister Brenda. However…"
"Well, because I look like this, I thought I would only be treated as a servant."
Could those be injuries on her forehead and cheek, be from when Meredy was captured?
She had some rather nasty scars left behind.
"Is it okay if I touch it for a moment?"
"Of course, if it’s you, Lord Rude, I’m happy to let you."
Rude couldn’t help but chuckle, wondering what she might have misunderstood.
Touching Meredy’s cheek, Rude began to chant.
"Heal. O white healing power that resides in all things, manifest my wish."
A warm sensation and light radiated from Rude’s hand.
Little by little, the wound started to heal.
Both Frenda and Brenda were staring in bewilderment at the sight.
When the light subsided, the wound was completely healed.
"Phew, I guess that’s good enough?"
"M-Meredy, the scar is…"
"Yes, the scar is…"
"What’s wrong with you two? Aren’t you used to seeing this scar… oh?"
""It’s healed!""
"Eeeeeh?!"
The scar she had given up on for all these years was now gone.
"Meredy, look."
Frenda handed a hand mirror to Meredy.
"No way. The scars are gone... Lord Rude, look at this."
"Keep it a secret, okay? I can use magic."
"Ah, um..."
Brenda gazed at Rude, her face full of desperation.
For some reason, she started to unfasten the buttons on Frenda’s back.
Frenda squeaked in surprise and turned her back, hurriedly holding her clothes.
At that moment, Rude caught sight of Frenda’s back.
It bore a big scar that looked like it had been caused by a whip.
"Please. Onee-san, you protected me, so it’s on your back…"
"Alright. I’m going to touch it for a moment."
"Y-yes. Please be gentle."
"You see…"
Rude released his magical power along with the incantation.
Brenda couldn’t help but cry as she watched the scar disappear.
"Ah, thank you. It’s because of me that this happened…"
Once Rude stopped pouring in his magic, the scar was completely healed.
"You’re all set. Your back is healed now, so please put your clothes back on."
"Frenda, the scar has disappeared just like mine."
"Lord Rude, how can I ever thank you?"
"Ah, please don’t do the submissive pose. I’m not used to it. Ahaha…"
Rude’s expression had turned into a rather self-deprecating smile.
They seemed to genuinely be uncomfortable with it.
"Frenda, the tea was delicious."
"Oh, that was made by Brenda. She’s better at making tea."
"Isn’t Frenda-neesan the better cook, though?"
"Yeah, I’m envious of both Frenda and Brenda."
"Why are you being modest? We can’t compare to Meredy when it comes to sewing."
"Really? Anyone can do this."
Rude’s magic made the three smile even brighter, enhancing their spirits.
"Um, I’ll be heading back to Fret, so please continue your work."
""Ehh?!""
Rude felt a bead of sweat form as he marveled at the camaraderie among the women.
▼
After returning from the kitchen, Rude was feeling very comfortable.
Through conversations with the beastfolk in the mansion, Rude began to understand Fret’s character.
He treats the beastfolk in exactly the same way he treats humans.
Just knowing that made Rude feel that coming here today was worthwhile.
Rude thought he would like to meet Fret’s deceased wife.
Rude concentrated power into the depths of his right eye.
Gradually, Rude could see her image, placing a hand on Fret’s right shoulder and smiling wryly.
Unaware of this, Fret began to speak.
"You see that white-haired lady over there?"
"Yes."
"Her name is Whitney, and she’s actually my common-law wife."
"Oh, really?"
"It was just last year that we became common-law partners. You see, she resembled my late wife. I had been dealing with the Misheria Trading Company reluctantly, but I impulsively brought her home the moment I saw her."
"I see."
"At that time, my son Myris was two years old. He took to her immediately when they met. I had been struggling to raise him alone, so it was a real help"
"I can tell him that, but is it really okay?"
"Hmm? Who are you talking to?"
"I’m talking to the woman with long, chestnut hair, divided down the middle, who’s smiling wryly beside Fret."
"Huh? What do you mean, um…?"
Rude concentrated a bit harder.
"Ah, so you can see me. I can't believe how much my big brother has grown since then..."
"Th-that voice, is it Systia?"
Frett turned towards the direction of the voice.
There stood the figure of his beloved wife, who was supposed to be dead.
Chapter length 5348 characters.
Note: I know the 4th to last line is weird. I can't think of anything better to really put here. The big brother is used sarcastically. Talking how big her husband has gotten being able to take another wife etc. Any suggestions to correct it is welcome.
Comments
Post a Comment