Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 29

As soon as Miles and the others recovered from their fatigue, they promptly began trading with the wolffolk settlement.

The concerns about the forest beasts seemed to vanish with Tabatha accompanying them, ensuring they were safe from attacks.


Regular supplies of beans began to arrive, and Rude decided to start selling Fenrir Brand Thin Skin Dumplings.


Rude sought the help of a local carpenter to construct a steamer for his dumplings.


That was just the beginning.


After all, his ultimate goal was to make this a specialty of the country.


With the sweet red bean paste at his disposal, he felt inspired to explore endless possibilities for new creations.


This essentially meant he had the capability to craft traditional Japanese sweets.


When it came to the recipes, he could easily access a wealth of knowledge from his memory.


"Rude, this koji is amazing."


Rude visited Henruda's village and checked the rice fields before harvest.


As expected, he found what looked like koji mold and had asked Tabatha to cultivate it.


With Tabatha’s magical abilities in temperature management, it wouldn’t take long to be ready.


"Was it difficult?"


"The main challenge is controlling the temperature, but magic takes care of that."


"So, it’ll be ready soon?"


"Yes, I think it will be ready by the weekend."


He would make rice koji, along with beans that seemed to be soybeans and salt.


Yes, what Rude requested was the making of miso.


Once that is accomplished, the next step is to make soy sauce.


In seafood-rich Sea Wales, the only aspect he couldn't accept was this.


It was the issue of both miso and soy sauce.


While saltiness is nice, miso and soy sauce are indispensable.


This should expand the variety in both cooking and desserts.


Now that he can make koji, Rude is also considering pickling fish.


Delicious food can bring happiness to people.


Once this is done, he will turn his attention to smoking food.


That’s right; he intends to create a product akin to Bonito Flakes.


This means he can finally make Cat Rice(Nekomanma) for his feline friends.


He imagines the delighted expressions of Croquette and Mikariel’s family.


If the trade goods increase, all races should be able to live fulfilling lives.


This should be true for all, just as it was for Rude’s family.


This is how Rude sees things.



 ▼



"Hey, Tabatha."


"What is it?"


"By the way, do you know where the village where Cleana lived is?"


"From what I know, there’s no one resembling her in the dogfolk villages I’m familiar with."


"I see…"


"Young master, that’s enough now."


She must have overheard Rude and the others talking.


Recently, Elise Rese has become more energetic and focused on her work at the trading company, leaving Cleana feeling idle.


During such times, she had also started helping out in Tabatha’s workshop.


Now, she shuttles between the Elise trading company and Tabatha’s workshop.


"The village I came from wasn’t very large. I don’t remember it well, but when I was about to be taken away, my father and mother fell into the hands of those men. Perhaps the whole village…"


"I’m sorry for bringing up such unpleasant memories."


"No, it’s because you were thinking of me."


Both Elise Rese and Rude had already finished gathering information from the dogfolk in Sea Wales about the village where Cleana might have lived.


Cleana’s fur was quite unique, so if anyone had seen it, it would be memorable.


However, no one seems to recognize it.


She had large, droopy ears with short fur.


In fact, they were the largest among the dogfolk residing in Sea Wales.


Perhaps there are those among the dogfolk captured in Elanzrild who might know her.


Cleana, who had only lived in the royal castle's annex, apparently had never met any other dogfolk in that country.


"Tabatha, have you learned anything about that magical tool since then?"


"No. I’ve been researching it, but it wasn’t in any of the literature I have. It’s probably something only humans need."


"That makes sense… By the way, how did Cleana manage to have it removed?"


"Yes. Mistress Elise Rese asked that pig to remove it, but I only remember that it was unlocked with a key."


"A key?"


"Yes. It was something creepy and unsettling.”


"Tabatha."


"Yes. There’s no need for magic to lock or unlock it. The key itself might have had magical properties."


"Yeah, that’s true. And it means even someone who can’t use magic could operate it. The key itself could be a magical tool."


"Indeed."


"What exactly are magical tools, anyway?"


"...All I know is that they aren’t easy to make. However, I can’t deny that alchemists like myself are involved. I don’t engage in dangerous studies like curses, but I’ve heard of others who do."


"Curses, huh…"


"At the very least, they weren’t created with the intention of helping people."


"It was made by someone. I guess it is what it is."


"Yeah."


In the world, there are those who wish for happiness like Rude, as well as those who seek the misfortune of others.


The darkness of this world is not as shallow as he had thought.



 ▼



Rude was enjoying a meal with Elise Rese and the others at the Elise Trading Company.


Recently, she had been eating well and working hard.


She had become more energetic than before, and Rude felt relieved.


"Mama."


"What?"


"I’d like to see your grandmother, Mama."


"Why the sudden interest?"


"It seems I have a rare power in Mom's country, and I wonder if it’s related to Mama's lineage."


"Being a foxfolk?"


"Yes."


Elise Rese turned her gaze toward Ellan Rose.


"Mom, could Grandma do anything special?"


"Well, I suppose Mom could do some unusual things."


"Unusual things?"


"Yes. She had a knack for finding things that were lost, and she could sense if traveling merchants were safe."


"Is that something you can do too, Mom?"


"No, I can’t do that. She never taught me those special things, claiming it would bring me misfortune."


"Misfortune?"


"Yep. She didn’t teach me the Transformation Technique either, telling me, ‘You don’t need ears or a tail.’ She may have thought being different from humans was too risky for me…"


Speaking of which, Garm mentioned the word Shapeshifting.


Different from humans.


In other words, Elise Rese’s grandmother must have known that being beastfolk poses a danger.


Strong races like Garm’s wolffolk are one thing, but the Croquette's catfolk and Cleana's dogfolk can’t be considered strong.


The power Rude unconsciously uses to change his form is likely what is called transformation technique.


"Transformation Technique—is it like when Rude becomes a Fenrir?"


"Yes, I think it’s probably the same."


"I see. I also dislike misfortune like those like Cleana. I know there are still such people in Elanzrild."


"Yes, but there’s nothing we can do about it…"


"I will."


"Rude."


"I will help everyone someday. So, I need to know what I can do now. Mama, Grandma, I want to meet my great-grandmother."


"Sure. I can tell you where it is. But it’s far. Elise Rese and I can’t go with you; it would only hinder you. Take this. It’s a family token my mother gave me."


What Ellan Rose placed the item in Rude’s hand.


It was the ring she had been wearing just moments ago.


It was woven from fine, silver-colored threads in a net-like pattern.


Could it be silver thread?


It had been solidified somehow to form a ring shape.


"What's this?"


"If you show this to my mother, she should recognize you as my grandchild. Have a safe journey. We’d be happy if you let her know we’re doing well."


"Okay. So, where is that place?"


"Well, it’s further north than Walgard. It’s in a cold area where snow is said to never melt even in summer. It’s a smaller country called Volks, smaller than Elanzrild."


"Volks… Okay. I’ll go check it out."


"Rude-chan, be careful on your journey."


"I know, Mama."



 ▼



When Rude lifted the wooden steamer, steam billowed up.


"So, Croquette-oneechan, once it’s steamed like this, it’s done."


"It’s easier than I expected-nya, isn’t it-nya?"


"Yeah. This is made so that anyone can make it. I hope it becomes a specialty of Sea

Wales."


"This onsen manju was made by me, right-nya…?"


This time, Croquette made everything from the red bean paste to the dough from scratch.


Rude took the time to teach Croquette every step, letting her handle the entire process alone.


Croquette must be feeling a deep sense of accomplishment looking at the round, brown finished product.


"Yeah. They’re small and easy to eat, plus they’re inexpensive to make."


"...Young master Rude-nya, does that mean I’m staying behind again-nya?"


"I’m sorry. I want you to come, but there aren’t many people who can make this yet. I’d like to ask Croquette-oneechan to help. It’s my dream."


Croquette accepted this as Rude’s dream.


After all, it’s also Croquette’s dream.


"I understand-nya."


As Rudia snacked on the steamed onsen manju, she winked at Croquette.


"Yes, it’s as delicious as what Rude made. Croquette will need to do her best for the future."


"Oh-nya, that’s… embarrassing-nya."


"Listen, Rude. Once you’re eighteen, you have to take her as your wife, alright?"


"Wait, Mom. What are you suddenly talking about?"


"Oh, does Rude not like Croquette?"


"I love her, but…"


Croquette hugged Rude tightly.


Rude, almost suffocated by her large chest, struggled uncomfortably.


"I-I can’t breathe. Croquette-oneechan."


"U-nyah, u-nyah! It’s the first time I’ve heard it directly from young master Rude-nya. I’m so happy-nya!"


Croquette was crying tears of joy as she buried her face in Rude’s hair.


"...But is it alright for someone like me-nya? I can’t do anything-nya."


"Mhmmhm…"


"Ah, I’m so sorry-nya…"


Croquette loosened her grip just a little.


Rude’s face was flushed, both pained and yet happy


"—Puh! I-I couldn’t breathe. I’m sorry. Until Mama and Mom told me, I thought it was normal to have Croquette-oneechan around. Cleana told me to think about the meaning of ‘love,’ and after talking with Croquette-oneechan by the beach, I started to understand a little."


"Yes, that’s correct-nya."


"I really love Croquette-oneechan’s dark hair."


"U-nyah!"


"And also, um…."


"U-nyah?"


"It’s soft, big, and smells nice, and I—"


Rudia, who was watching the two, couldn’t help but interject.


"That's right. Rude loves boobs, doesn't he?"


"W-Wait, Mom…"


"Yes, Rude-chan has been like that since he was a baby."


"Even you, Mama…"


Even Elise Rese, sitting next to Rudia, began teasing Rude happily.


"Oh, so it’s been like that for a long time?"


"Was it the same with you, Rudia-neesan?"


"Yes, when you hold him close to your chest, he becomes happy. Even back then, Rude often fell asleep while touching them."


"That’s right! He looks so pleased when you hug him to sleep. Cleana, you remember that too, don’t you?"


"Yes. When Mistress Elise Rese wasn’t around, I would hold him, and he definitely looked happy. Rude hasn’t changed at all…"


Cleana, with her gentle eyes, said something unnecessary.


"How much do I really love breasts…? I mean, it’s not like I dislike them."


“Oh-nya, so you’re turning red and looking away-nya?”


"Of course it’s embarrassing! You’re not my mama or my mom…"


Rudia and Elise Rese wore amused expressions.


Cleana looked like she was trying hard not to laugh.


Rude found himself at a loss for words.


"Young Master Rude, I’ll be waiting for your return-nya. You can count on me for household matters-nya."


"O-Okay. I’m counting on you. That’s why I’m teaching you everything."


Finally freed from this situation, Rude felt a sense of relief.



 ▼



Until nightfall, Rude had been going over how to make Onsen Manju with Croquette.


Only Croquette had been taught by him this method.


Of course, this was the hand-made method.


While she couldn’t use magic for cooking, Rude had taught her every dish he made.


He had also informed her about the miso that Tabatha was making.


Recently, he had been experimenting with new recipes while having Croquette taste them.


This time, having Croquette make it from scratch allowed them to sell Fenrir’s Onsen Manju at Mikariel's Inn.


Rude being the only one who could create it was not enough.


By doing this, it meant that the recipe could be made public, allowing regular pastry chefs to create it too.

 

After finishing her work, Tabatha came to enjoy dinner and was sipping tea in a relaxed manner.


Rude thought he might as well make a suggestion since he had the chance.


Even in this country, the bread is hard.


So, he thought of a way to make it tastier.


"Tabatha, can you make something like this?"


"I can make anything. What new creation do you have in mind this time?"


"Well, you see…"


"Your ideas are truly remarkable, Rude. The bread here is tasty, but it’s so hard that it tires the jaw. If you can make it soft with this…"


"Yes, I’m sure it will definitely become soft."


What Rude had made was a natural yeast made from apple-like fruit and sugar.


Since only the skin and core were used, they started making the yeast after enjoying the flesh.


He instructed Croquette to bake bread with the yeast, which would likely be ready in a few days.


Rude would depart without eating it.


It’s better to save the enjoyment for later.


"Young master Rude-nya, should we borrow the oven from Mikariel-nya?"


"Yeah, we don’t have one at home."


"Still, this is delicious. It’s just as good as what Rude made. No, it might be even better."


"That’s true-nya. It’s filled with love-nya."


"Alright, thank you for the meal."


"Unya."


Tabatha understood Croquette’s feelings as well.


She had been dining at Rude’s house, often chatting with the girls, even if it wasn’t quite a gathering.


Elise Rese appeared to get along well with Tabatha, perhaps because they were of similar age.


Croquette admired Tabatha like an older sister.


Tabatha loved Croquette’s cooking and treated her like a younger sister, despite their different races.


Rude’s desserts were primarily served at Mikarie's Inn.


It seems that recently Elise Rese devised takeout containers, making it seem like they were bringing home cakes.


While experimenting with paper designs, Rude casually whispered in Elise Rese’s ear, leading to an easy creation.


"How about we refer to it as a template and craft a box from a single piece of paper?"


"How do we draw that?"


"Hmm, maybe like this?"


Rude didn’t seem to have an artistic talent, but Elise Rese neatly copied his doodles, and the box was quickly completed.


Basically, Elise Rese was quick-witted regarding business matters.


Meanwhile, the day of Rude's departure was fast approaching.





Chapter length 6927 characters.


< TOC >

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 1

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 37

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 6