Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 42

With the sun gone, dusk enveloped the surroundings.

Rude had arrived at a certain graveyard, following the directions Ilys had researched.


This was said to be the burial site of the royal family of Elanzrild.


He followed closely behind Ilys, wary of the atmosphere around them.


Ilys stopped in front of a particular gravestone.


It bore no inscription, just a plain square stone slab.


"I was told this is the place."


"That can't be true. After all, he was a royal heir, right?"


"Apparently, that was not the case. From my research, it seems the succession rights were not granted."


"That’s impossible…"


Rude fell to his knees on the spot.


"All the surrounding gravestones are magnificent. This is just cruel."


"Yes, it truly is."


"I'm sorry. From here on, I'm going to push myself a bit. If I collapse, please take me to the Catfolk Village. My mother’s friend leads that place."


"Lord Rude, what are you planning to do?"


"I'm going to use another one of my powers. You've heard, right? I'm a Fenrir with two attributes."


"Yes, I've only heard the story. But…"


"I really have it. My left eye holds a white power, and my right eye holds a black power."


Rude took a deep breath.


He closed both eyes and gathered power in his right eye.


The strength was on an entirely different level compared to when he manifested the forms of Ferris's husband and daughter.


A sensation like having his energy completely drained overwhelmed Rude.


Still, he didn’t stop gathering power.


"──Ugh…"


Perhaps it was due to the sudden exertion of power, but he felt a wave of nausea wash over him.


"Lord Rude."


"…I’m fine. I’m just not used to this."


Rude covered his left eye with his left hand and opened his right eye.


At that moment, a faint light began to leak from the gravestone at Rude's feet.


The light gradually took shape.


It shaped itself into the form of a boy smaller than Rude.


He looked younger than Rude, but the boy’s features were strikingly similar to his.


The boy’s hair was light blonde and short, similar to that of a cat.


The illuminated boy slowly opened his eyes.


Ilys felt as if she had witnessed something unbelievable.


The boy was a spitting image of Rude.


The boy slowly opened his mouth.


"You’re my big brother, right?"


"Yeah, your Elcid, right?"

 

"Yeah, I'm glad to be able to talk to you brother."


"I’m glad too… Huh? Glad you could talk?"


"You noticed too late. I was always close by."


"What?!"


Ilys knew she would never forget this scene.


Elcid, who was said to have died, was talking with Rude.


Tears naturally flowed from both of Ilys’s eyes.


"Hey, big brother, Mama is doing good, right? It was reassuring to see her. I’m glad you were able to help her."


"Yes."


"Good. I’m glad you finally noticed. I was waiting all along, but you didn’t notice me even though I was right next to you."


"Um, I’m sorry…"


"Brother"


"Hmm?"


"I’m sorry for dying."


"W-Why are you apologizing…?"


Rude's tear ducts had already broken down.


Tears flowed endlessly.


"Big brother, don’t cry. It’s my fault I messed up."


"But you…"


"Yeah. No matter how much they insist he’s my dad, he looks nothing like me. I can’t call that pig-like man beautiful. I can’t say he’s cool. That’s why I said it—why are you called beautiful when you're so fat?"


Elcid smiled wryly with his childish face.


"You’re so honest. If you called him that, he’d be furious. I still remember his face when I said, ‘Oink and apologize.’"


"Ahahaha. That’s so like you, big brother. I heard that you’re smart and brave. But they said you were discarded after saying that. Mama was crying."


"Yeah, but I couldn’t help it. I did something terrible to Mama. I messed up too. So, it’s not your fault, Elcid."


"I’m glad. I couldn’t stand seeing Mama in pain. So I said it. Then that pig glared at me fiercely and hit me. The last thing I remember is my cheek hurting while falling down the stairs."


"I see, so that’s what happened."


"Yeah. I made Mama sad. I worried Cleana too. Please apologize to her later for me."


"You can come with me and apologize yourself. I have that power."


"I think that’s impossible. I have to go now. I’m overwhelmed."


"That's ......."


"I’ve been watching by your side all along, and I’ve spent more time with Mama and Cleana than you. So, big brother, can you just tell Mama and Cleana that I love them?"


"Yeah. Got it. But hey, didn’t you have anything else you wanted to do?"


"...I wanted to try your thing. Was it pudding, ice cream, and those buns? I wanted to play with you, big brother. I wanted to…"


"I see…"


"But you know, the most important thing was that I wanted to talk to you. So, I’m satisfied."


He wore a beautiful smile.


Being twins, Rude somehow understood.


"I wanted to talk to Elcid too. I wanted to play. It’s unfair for it to end like this."


"You have to take care of things, right? I was a quarter part fox, right? So help them—the other beastfolk like me."


"Yeah. I promise. There’s probably my brother over there. A Femrude just like me."


"Yeah, I know. If I get along with him, you’d be happy. …Hey, big brother."


"Hmm?"


"I can’t give you much, but I’ll give you everything that I have left."


"Wait a minute. If you have that power, you could come back with me and talk to Mama—"


"No, it’s fine. I’m already satisfied. My wish came true. I was happy. Thank you, big brother. Goodbye…"


"Wait a minute—"


The light of Elcid shrank and shot into Rude’s right eye.


With a jolt, his right eye became painfully hot.


When the pain subsided, the color of Rude’s right eye had changed.


At that moment, what had been Elcid’s form slowly began to vanish.


His expression looked very satisfied as he smiled.


"Ahh, Elcid is gone. It’s really unfair. How am I supposed to know who’s the big brother now…"


"That's right."


"He looked just like me, didn’t he?"


"Yes. Elcid was very cute…Ah, Lord Rude. Your right eye is golden now."


"Yeah. It’s the same as Elcid’s eye from earlier. My left eye is like Mom’s. Isn’t that strange?"


"No, it’s cute."


"...Thanks."


Rude felt a wave of exhaustion and plopped down onto the ground.


He had finally met Elcid.


It was a brief conversation, but it was their first exchange as brothers.


"Ilys heard it too, right?"


"Yes. I understood the whole situation."


"Yeah. I can’t let that pig go unpunished."


"That's right."


"I’ll make him suffer worse than death. I have a plan."


"What do you have in mind?"


"Lean in so you can hear."


"Understood."


As Ilys leaned in, Rude whispered softly.


"—that might indeed be worse than death. I think it’s a good idea."


"See? I thought it was a great plan."


Rude placed his hand on the gravestone where it's lord was no longer housed and closed his eyes to pray.


"I hope Elcid can be great friends with my brother, Femrude."


Rude stood up weakly.


Ilys wiped the tears streaming down Rude's cheeks with a cloth she took from her chest.


Rude felt a little embarrassed, but he was grateful for Ilys’s kindness.


"I think I used too much power. Ilys, can you take me to the catfolk village?"


"Wouldn’t you prefer to go to Sea Wales?"

"Yeah. But if I see Mama now, I’ll just cry."


"...Understood. Then, excuse me."


Ilys seemed to understand Rude’s feelings.


She transformed into her Fenrir form and crouched down to carry Rude on her back, starting to run into the night.


Ilys headed toward the catfolk village as Rude had requested.



 ▼



When Rude woke up, he saw the faces of catfolk children around him.


"Ah, Rude big brother!"


"Hello, Rude big brother!"


"Ilys big sister, Rude woke up!"


"Yes. Thank you very much."


Ilys's smile was also mixed in with everyone else's.


Waking up surrounded by smiles might be the greatest luxury of all.


"Okay, okay. Big brother can’t eat without some food, right? Sorry but you will have to wait a little while longer."


"""Yes."""


The children left the room.


As Rude turned to the familiar voice, it appeared Henruda had brought something like a meal tray.


"Good morning. I’m sorry for coming so suddenly."


"Rude, this place is like your home, so please don’t hesitate. Thanks to Elise Rese and you guys, everyone is enjoying lots of fish."


"Is that so? I’m glad to hear it."


"Yes. It might not be very tasty, but please eat it."


"No, I’ll gladly eat it."


"After you eat, please leave it outside the room."


Ilys bowed deeply to Henruda as she left the room.


The meal included grilled dried fish, warm rice, and root vegetable soup.


Rude propped himself up with Ilys's assistance.


The aroma of the grilled fish was delightful.


"Lord Rude, here you go."


"I'm fine. I can eat by myself."


"…Please go ahead."


"…Okay. Ahh."


"Is it delicious?"


"Yeah. It seems Henruda knows how to prepare fish well. Mikariel in Sea Wales was the same. I think catfolk are amazing. This soup is refreshing and delicious. The rice is just normal because I taught them how to cook it."


"I heard while you were sleeping, Lord Rude, that this is the rice-producing area."


"Yes. It looked like grass, so they didn’t realize. It's actually more nutritious than barley."


Once Rude finished eating, Ilys finally began to eat her portion.


"Isn’t it going to taste bad since it’s cold?"


"No, it’s delicious. We usually had meat dishes, but I started eating fish since coming to Sea Wales. I never knew it could taste this good just by being salted and grilled."


Ilys continued to eat quietly.


"I wish we could have eaten together."


"Lord Rude is unwell. Once you feel better, we can eat together."


"I see, then that’s fine."


Rude was able to move again shortly after.


Rude decided to inform Henruda about the kidnapping incident that likely occurred in the nearby dogfolk village, so they could be vigilant.


"Is that so? Such a thing has happened."


"Yes. But I will make sure that doesn't happen again. I want everyone to live peacefully."


"Since I first met Ferruida, Rude, my life has become brighter with you. I was helped by Ferruida, and by you, Rude, and thanks to Elise Rese, our village has become prosperous. And also..."


"You're talking about Croquette-oneesan, right? My fiancée... because of that."


"You've finally acknowledged it. Thank you."


"No, it’s more like my mothers made me acknowledge it, um...Before I came here, I dealt with the man who kidnapped Croquette-oneesan. The other man was absent, but I don’t think the one I faced will do anything bad again. I will go and deal with the root of the problem now. That way, everyone here will finally be able to live without worry. I have to do my best."


"Rude, is it really necessary for you to carry such a burden?"


"This is Croquette-oneesan’s home, right? And Henruda said it's my home too. Then everyone here is my family."


Saying this, Rude smiled at Henruda.


Henruda had heard about Rude from Rudia and had known him since he was small.


It was actually Henruda who made Rude's clothes when he was growing up.


When Croquette started helping, Rude began to rely on her.


At that time, he realized how important it was to value relationships.



 ▼



After resting for about half a day, Rude was able to get out of bed.


Rude lightly stretched to check his body's condition.


It seemed he had fully recovered the energy he had exhausted.


From what Ilys observed, Rude’s expression was quite tense.


Perhaps he was shifting his mindset for the impending release of the beastfolk.


Rude turned to look at Ilys.


Ilys gave a silent smile and acknowledged him with a bow.


Rude exited the room.


I wonder if the villagers, including Henruda, are listening to the conversation.


It looked like they were seeing Rude off from a distance.


Rude forced a smile for everyone.


He bowed slightly, turned on his heel, and went outside the village.


Ilys bowed to everyone in the village and then followed Rude.



 ▼



Rude and Ilys had reached the castle town of Erandslilrd


Their first task was to search for the Misheria Trading Company.


"Ilys."


"Yes."


"Do you know where the trading company is?"


"Yes. I researched it while you were sleeping yesterday, Lord Rude."


"I see. Ilys, you're too talented."


Rude turned around and gave a wry smile.


"I'll take that as a compliment."


Of course, she knew he was exasperated.


Ilys would use her talents to the fullest for Rude.


It wasn’t just because Rude acknowledged her as his butler.





Chapter length 5967 characters.


< TOC >

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 1

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 37

Heart-warming Meals with Mother Fenrir - Chapter 6